In the nation's Second City this weekend, standout road racer Shane van Gisbergen will be seeking his own second — another NASCAR Cup Series win. When the Grant Park 165 takes the green flag Sunday for the second running of the Chicago Street Race, all eyes will be on the New Zealander's return engagement in the Windy City. van Gisbergen, 35, is the +200 favorite to do so at BetMGM, where he has been backed by the most total bets (13.8%) and money (27.5%) to win since opening at +550. That makes him the book's biggest liability this week despite his short odds as the favorite. The Trackhouse Motorsports driver shocked the NASCAR world one year ago when he won the inaugural Chicago race, locking down the victory as street lamps came to life and darkness descended on the city by the lake. Nicknamed SVG for brevity's sake, the Project 91 Chevrolet road-racing specialist worked his way past Justin Haley to win the race, which was shortened by 25 laps due to impending darkness. The Auckland, New Zealand, native became the first driver to win his debut in NASCAR's top series in 60 years. Johnny Rutherford won in 1963 at Daytona in a qualifying race, then considered a points event. van Gisbergen is only driving a handful of Cup races this season, but he already has left an indelible mark on the Xfinity Series, where he races the No. 97 Chevrolet full time for Kaulig Racing alongside teammate AJ Allmendinger. In the first Xfinity Series race of June at Portland Raceway, he beat Justin Allgaier on a restart with four laps to go. The three-time Australian Supercars champion then repeated the following weekend at Sonoma Raceway with another victory, leading 32 of 79 circuits and beating Sheldon Creed for his second career series triumph. Kaulig team president Chris Rice has been impressed with van Gisbergen and said his style is different from that of Allmendinger, a road-racing ringer. "It's a different special," Rice said. "AJ came into our place and has been one of the best road course racers ever in this sport. His driving style and SVG's driving style is so different that SVG is going to be the best racer from Australia and the way they do it and he's got to learn these cars." After van Gisbergen won the Xfinity pole, Kyle Larson went out and topped the chart for Sunday's Cup Series race around the 2.2-mile temporary circuit by turning a lap in 127.836 seconds. His speed of 90.168 mph barely nipped Ty Gibbs' of 90.158. Michael McDowell and Tyler Reddick will occupy Row 2, while SVG and Bubba Wallace will line up behind them. "SVG is a special driver," Rice added. "He has more talent than we've seen in a long time come from anywhere else. He's going to do very well, but when you get to the Cup side, it's way harder than showing up in Xfinity. "He has so much car control, it's unbelievable." LARSON'S ON POLE Kyle Larson has also seen his odds shorten since charging to the pole during Saturday's qualifying. After opening at +600, Larson's odds had shifted to +310 by Sunday morning. He has also been backed by the second most total bets (9.4%) and money (12.0%). "It wasn't perfect," said Larson, who ran a track-record 90.496 mph (87.518 seconds) in the opening round. "It was better than my first lap (in the final round), but I think I had better grip potential on the first lap, so I wish I could have had a couple corners back there. "Judging by the reaction from my spotter, it had to be pretty close on lap time, so really awesome to get a pole here in Chicago … (We've) checked the first box and, hopefully, we can keep it going." It's Larson's series-best fifth pole of the season and the 21st of his career. LONGSHOT PICK Joey Logano (+10000): The two-time Cup Series champion is languishing at 14th in this season's standings with a lone win and three top-5 finishes. However, that win came last week in five overtimes in Nashville after Logano started 26ths. Logano, who has three top-6 finishes in his past five races, is also the book's third-biggest liability this week, having drawn 2.9 percent of all money wagered on the race winner with his longshot odds. –Field Level Media Relatedsportsbooks onlinebrand new online betting sitesonline betting apptop live betting siteslive betting linesin-game cash out
Related Posts
Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe revealed he held talks with Real Madrid prior to moving to the French capital, though he insisted it is in the past.
A move to Spanish and European champions Madrid appeared on the horizon for Mbappe amid intense speculation after helping Monaco win Ligue 1 in 2016-17.
The 19-year-old scored 27 goals in all competitions and eventually joined the likes of Neymar and Edinson Cavani at PSG – on an initial season-long loan – despite talks with Madrid, who he will come up against in the Champions League last 16.
It s true that we spoke, but I think that s now in the past for me and for Real Madrid, Mbappe told Marca.
The transition from the Stade Louis II to Parc des Princes has been seamless for Mbappe, who has scor…
Philipp Max is keen on a move to the Premier League but expects to see out the rest of this season at Augsburg.
The left-back a member of Germany s silver medal-winning team at the 2016 Olympics has reportedly attracted the attention of a host of Premier League clubs, with Manchester City, Manchester United and Liverpool among those linked as potential suitors.
Max s attacking abilities in particular have made waves this season, with the 24-year-old supplying a remarkable 10 assists in 17 Bundesliga outings.
He is under contract at Augsburg until 2022 and told Sport Bild a January move is unlikely as things stand.
I ve dreamed of playing abroad since I was a kid and I think the English league would be a good match for my straightforward style on the p…
that Diafra Sakho could be on his way out West Ham United at the end of the season.
The striker faces showdown talks with manager Slaven Bilic after he ruled himself out of Saturday’s 3-3 draw with Arsenal and then failed to attend the match.
He had trained as normal on Friday, then reported the injuy after discovering that he had not been selected in the Hammers’ starting XI.
The Senegal international moved to Upton Park from French side Metz in August 2014 and impressed in his first season with the club but has struggled with injury this term.
In total he has racked up forty-five appearances in all competitions, scoring eighteen goals but he has managed just four in the league this season.
West Ham sit five points behind fourth place…
Chelsea boss Antonio Conte wants clubs, the Football Association and the Premier League to work together to remedy festive fixture congestion.
The champions travel to Arsenal on Wednesday, granting them an extra days two days rest when compared to some of their Premier League counterparts following a 5-0 weekend romp against Stoke City.
Jose Mourinho has regularly bemoaned Manchester United s schedule over the festive period, while Pep Guardiola said quick turnarounds in games were a disaster for his Manchester City players and others.
Earlier this season, Conte questioned the Premier League s scheduling of games against City and Liverpool being on Saturdays after Wednesday night Champions League away matches at Atletico Madrid and Qarabag respectively.
Riccardo Montolivo feels goal difference may be the deciding factor behind whether Italy progress from Group D at the FIFA World Cup.
Italy have been drawn alongside England, who they face in their opening game in Manaus on June 14, Uruguay and Costa Rica in what is arguably the toughest group of the competition.
The four-time winners failed to get into the knockout stages in South Africa four years ago, but responded well by reaching the final of the 2012 UEFA European Championships.
Milan midfielder Montolivo is well aware of the challenge facing Cesare Prandelli s men in Brazil and expects the group to be settled by the finest of margins.
Certainly it is not going to be easy, said in an interview with Forza Milan magazine.
The most delicate game is alway…
Dutch local newspaper Eindhovens Dagblad is reporting that Chelsea defender Jeffrey Bruma is set to leave Hamburger SV.
Bruma, 21, has joined the Bundesliga side on loan in the summer of 2011, but has recently lost his place in the starting line-up.
This is not an ideal situation for his parent club Chelsea, and Blues advisor Piet de Visser claims the defender is set to leave HSV in search of first team football.
“His situation at Hamburg is currently not as we hoped,” De Visser told Eindhovens Dagblad.
“He is currently not a first choice with his coach. Bruma is a boy who needs to play week in week out.”
Vitesse and PSV Eindhoven hope to take advantage of the situation and are ready to offer the player an escape route from Imtech Arena.<…
Both Sarina Wiegman and Martina Voss-Tecklenburg have resisted temptation to tamper with their starting XIs as they have named unchanged teams for Sunday s Women s Euro 2022 final between England and Germany.
There had been speculation that Lionesses manager Wiegman would give in-form Alessia Russo a first start of the campaign, with the striker third in the scoring charts with four goals from the bench.
However, Wiegman has instead kept faith with Ellen White, who has scored just twice in five starts but is England s all-time top goalscorer.
England have named the same team from the start in all six of their matches at the finals, making them the first team in either a men s or women s European Championship to name an unchanged starting XI in every game fr…
A study from Ofcom ahead of the new season has found that seven out of 10 Premier League footballers have been abused on Twitter.
It also revealed that 362 tweets containing abuse are sent to Premier League players every day, and that eight out of the top 10 Premier League players most abused online played for Manchester United last season.
Half of the derogatory tweets were targeted at just 12 players, with United s Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire receiving the most abuse.
Other players in the top 10 included Bruno Fernandes, Fred, David de Gea, Marcus Rashford, Paul Pogba, Jesse Lingard, Harry Kane and Jack Grealish.
In the report, Ofcom s Group Director for Broadcasting and Online Content Kevin Bakhurst said: Football is a game of high emotion, p…
Maya Yoshida thinks Japan s settled starting XI will see the defending Asian Cup champions improve again in the quarter-finals.
Japan s settled starting line-up is helping the reigning champions build momentum at the Asian Cup, as they prepare for their quarter-final against United Arab Emirates.
Coach Javier Aguirre selected the same XI to begin each of Japan s three group matches and they completed a clean sweep on Tuesday with a 2-0 triumph over bogey team Jordan.
With games every four days at the Asian Cup, many coaches have focused on rotation to keep their squads fresh.
But Japan central defender Maya Yoshida insists Aguirre s stance is a benefit for the title-holders.
[We are] getting better every day and understand each other [better] ev…
Andre Schurrle has been hotly tipped to join Wolfsburg, but the Bundesliga club say a deal to sign the Chelsea forward is not done yet.
Wolfsburg have yet to agree a deal for Chelsea forward Andre Schurrle, with the club s sporting director stating that time is running out to complete the transfer.
Premier League leaders Chelsea are expected to confirm the signing of Fiorentina s Juan Cuadrado with Schurrle having been tipped to depart Stamford Bridge throughout the transfer window.
Bundesliga side Wolfsburg are reportedly in pole position for the Germany international s signature, but the club s sporting director Klaus Allofs has warned there is still plenty of work to do.
There is no agreement at the moment, he told Wolfsburger Nachrichten.