Bernardo Silva clearly not a racist, says Bakayoko

Tiemoue Bakayoko is surprised the Twitter controversy involving his former Monaco team-mates Bernardo Silva and Benjamin Mendy has resulted in a Football Association charge for the Portugal international.

Manchester City playmaker Silva last month tweeted – and subsequently deleted – a photo of a young Mendy and a dated image from Conguitos, a Spanish confectionary brand that has been criticised for having racist connotation. The post was captioned Guess who?

On Wednesday, Silva was charged with an alleged breach of FA Rule E3 on account of the post being insulting and/or improper and/or [bringing] the game into disrepute . It is further alleged the offence amounts to an aggravated breach because it included reference, whether expressed or implied, to race and/or co…

Championship is not a problem – Scolari hints at West Brom offer

World Cup-winning coach Luiz Felipe Scolari hinted he has received an offer to replace Alan Pardew as West Brom manager and their impending relegation to the Championship will not put him off.

West Brom announced Pardew s exit by mutual consent on Monday, with the 56-year-old presiding over a disastrous run which has left them looking certainties for relegation.

Pardew was only in charge for four months after replacing Tony Pulis in November and a streak of eight successive Premier League defeats proved enough for the club s hierarchy to give him the boot, with West Brom 10 points adrift of safety six games from the end of the season.

And Scolari – a World Cup winner with Brazil in 2002 – hinted that West Brom have approached him, claiming a current Premier …

Allegri impressed with Juve´s ´attitude´ but demands more

Massimiliano Allegri was pleased with Juventus  improved attitude  as they ran out 2-0 winners over Bologna at Stadio Renato Dall Ara on Saturday.

The Bianconeri were held to a 1-1 draw by Venezia in their last Serie A outing, but they cruised to all three points against Sinisa Mihajlovic s side thanks to goals in each half from Alvaro Morata and Juan Cuadrado.

Juve have now kept five clean sheets in Serie A since November – a joint-record among the top five European leagues in this period, level with Inter.

The performance was a marked improvement from the one at Venezia, and Allegri wants plenty more of that from his sixth-placed team as they bid to climb the table.

Everyone collaborated when defending, which is how it ought to be,  he told DA…

Buffon avoids ban for blasphemous comments, fined €5,000

Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon has been fined €5,000 but avoided a suspension after using a blasphemous expression during Juventus 4-0 win at Parma in December.

The 43-year-old was caught on camera committing the offence when shouting instructions to team-mate Manolo Portanova.

The FIGC opened disciplinary proceedings against Buffon and the veteran keeper risked a one-man ban for his comment.

However, the National Federal Court only partially accepted the FIGC s referral at Thursday s hearing and former Italy international Buffon escaped with just a fine.

Buffon has served as back-up to Wojciech Szczesny since returning to Turin from Paris Saint-Germain in 2019 and has made nine appearances in all competitions this season.

Phoenix swoop to sign Hernandez

Carlos Hernandez is returning to the A-League after signing a two-year deal with Wellington Phoenix.

Carlos Hernandez is returning to the A-League after signing a two-year deal with Wellington Phoenix.

The attacking midfielder spent five seasons at Melbourne Victory where he made 121 appearances and scored 36 goals.

The Costa Rican will join Wellington when his contract with Indian I-League club Prayag United ends in June.

Getting Carlos to Wellington is a massive signing for the Phoenix because everyone has seen the impact he made in the A-League, said coach Ricki Herbert.

He is an exciting player who can make things very difficult for the opposition and is a dead ball specialist.

Hernandez was named the A-League s player of the yea…

Papastathopoulos joins Borussia Dortmund; Schalke sign Felipe Santana

UEFA Champions League runners-up Borussia Dortmund have completed the signing of Werder Bremen defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos, .

The deal is reportedly worth €8 millon, plus €2 million in potential add-ons, and will keep Papastathopoulos at the club until the summer of 2018.

“We are delighted that Sokratis has decided for Borussia Dortmund. He is a versatile defender, in whom we see a lot of potential,” said BVB sporting director Michael Zorc.

Papastathopoulos, 24, established himself as a regular in the Greek national team at the 2012 European Championships in Poland and Ukraine.

The 24-year-old Greece international, who scored one goal in 30 competitive appearances for Bremen last season, can play centre-back as well as right-b…

Cahill set for 100th cap and place in Australia history

Tim Cahill is set to become the first outfield player to win 100 senior
00004000
caps for Australia.

The 37-year-old has been named in the starting line-up for Sunday s Confederations Cup clash with Chile, meaning he is poised to earn a place in Socceroos history.

He will be the second Australia player to reach the 100-cap milestone after former Chelsea goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer, who made 109 appearances between 1993 and 2013.

Sydney-born Cahill did not make his debut until the age of 24 and required a FIFA ruling in order to represent Australia, having played at youth level for Samoa, the country of his mother.

Head coach Ange Postecoglou said this week that the former Everton star should be held in the highest regard for his world-class contribution …

Neymar assets frozen by court in Brazil

A court in Brazil has ordered assets belonging to Barcelona star Neymar to be frozen.

The federal court in Sao Paulo announced it is issuing warrants to freeze assets reported to include a yacht, a private jet and a number of properties, amounting to a total of just under €45million.

Neymar s family and associated businesses are accused of evading taxes between 2011 and 2013, while the 24-year-old played for Santos. He denies any wrongdoing.

Prosecutors are understood to be demanding a payment of close to €14m in order to cover allegedly unpaid taxes. A complete repayment would render the case closed, according to Brazil s tax authority.

Neymar appeared in court in Spain earlier this month as part of an unrelated investigation into alleged financial …

Sevilla complete Nolito signing from Manchester City

Sevilla have wrapped up the signing of Manchester City forward Nolito on a three-year contract in a transfer reportedly worth €9million.

Nolito successfully passed his medical on Sunday and formally signed his contract with Sevilla.

Formal completion of the deal comes a day after the Spanish club confirmed they had struck a deal with City to bring in the 30-year-old, who will now travel to join his new team-mates pre-season campaign in Japan.

Everyone at City would like to wish Nolito well with his move, said the Premier League club.

The Spain international leaves City after only one season in England s top flight, having signed for Pep Guardiola s men from Celta Vigo.

¡Nolito, bienvenido al !

— Sevilla Fútbol Club (@SevillaFC)…

Brazil 2 Croatia 0: Neymar makes decisive return

Neymar scored a superb opening goal in his first match since February as Brazil defeated Croatia 2-0 at Anfield on Sunday.

The Paris Saint-Germain star came on at half-time and blasted home in front of the Kop with 69 minutes gone, four years on from his double against the same opponents at the 2014 World Cup, before Roberto Firmino added a late second.

Neymar s strike was a rare moment of quality in a match in which both sets of players seemed eager to keep injury risks to a minimum, with less than two weeks to go until the start of this year s World Cup finals.

Brazil head to Russia as one of the favourites but this was a largely flat display, despite Tite choosing to start Gabriel Jesus, Willian and Philippe Coutinho, making his first appearance at the stadium…