Carlos Hernandez is returning to the A-League after signing a two-year deal with Wellington Phoenix.
Carlos Hernandez is returning to the A-League after signing a two-year deal with Wellington Phoenix.
The attacking midfielder spent five seasons at Melbourne Victory where he made 121 appearances and scored 36 goals.
The Costa Rican will join Wellington when his contract with Indian I-League club Prayag United ends in June.
Getting Carlos to Wellington is a massive signing for the Phoenix because everyone has seen the impact he made in the A-League, said coach Ricki Herbert.
He is an exciting player who can make things very difficult for the opposition and is a dead ball specialist.
Hernandez was named the A-League s player of the yea…
UEFA Champions League runners-up Borussia Dortmund have completed the signing of Werder Bremen defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos, .
The deal is reportedly worth €8 millon, plus €2 million in potential add-ons, and will keep Papastathopoulos at the club until the summer of 2018.
“We are delighted that Sokratis has decided for Borussia Dortmund. He is a versatile defender, in whom we see a lot of potential,” said BVB sporting director Michael Zorc.
Papastathopoulos, 24, established himself as a regular in the Greek national team at the 2012 European Championships in Poland and Ukraine.
The 24-year-old Greece international, who scored one goal in 30 competitive appearances for Bremen last season, can play centre-back as well as right-b…
Tim Cahill is set to become the first outfield player to win 100 senior
00004000
caps for Australia.
The 37-year-old has been named in the starting line-up for Sunday s Confederations Cup clash with Chile, meaning he is poised to earn a place in Socceroos history.
He will be the second Australia player to reach the 100-cap milestone after former Chelsea goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer, who made 109 appearances between 1993 and 2013.
Sydney-born Cahill did not make his debut until the age of 24 and required a FIFA ruling in order to represent Australia, having played at youth level for Samoa, the country of his mother.
Head coach Ange Postecoglou said this week that the former Everton star should be held in the highest regard for his world-class contribution …
A court in Brazil has ordered assets belonging to Barcelona star Neymar to be frozen.
The federal court in Sao Paulo announced it is issuing warrants to freeze assets reported to include a yacht, a private jet and a number of properties, amounting to a total of just under €45million.
Neymar s family and associated businesses are accused of evading taxes between 2011 and 2013, while the 24-year-old played for Santos. He denies any wrongdoing.
Prosecutors are understood to be demanding a payment of close to €14m in order to cover allegedly unpaid taxes. A complete repayment would render the case closed, according to Brazil s tax authority.
Neymar appeared in court in Spain earlier this month as part of an unrelated investigation into alleged financial …
Sevilla have wrapped up the signing of Manchester City forward Nolito on a three-year contract in a transfer reportedly worth €9million.
Nolito successfully passed his medical on Sunday and formally signed his contract with Sevilla.
Formal completion of the deal comes a day after the Spanish club confirmed they had struck a deal with City to bring in the 30-year-old, who will now travel to join his new team-mates pre-season campaign in Japan.
Everyone at City would like to wish Nolito well with his move, said the Premier League club.
The Spain international leaves City after only one season in England s top flight, having signed for Pep Guardiola s men from Celta Vigo.
¡Nolito, bienvenido al !
— Sevilla Fútbol Club (@SevillaFC)…
Neymar scored a superb opening goal in his first match since February as Brazil defeated Croatia 2-0 at Anfield on Sunday.
The Paris Saint-Germain star came on at half-time and blasted home in front of the Kop with 69 minutes gone, four years on from his double against the same opponents at the 2014 World Cup, before Roberto Firmino added a late second.
Neymar s strike was a rare moment of quality in a match in which both sets of players seemed eager to keep injury risks to a minimum, with less than two weeks to go until the start of this year s World Cup finals.
Brazil head to Russia as one of the favourites but this was a largely flat display, despite Tite choosing to start Gabriel Jesus, Willian and Philippe Coutinho, making his first appearance at the stadium…
Manchester City got back to winning ways in the Premier League with a 3-1 defeat of Bournemouth, with Tottenham slumping to a 1-0 home loss against Newcastle United.
Pressure was already starting to grow on Steve Bruce after successive defeats but his side returned from Sunday s trip to London with their first victory of his reign.
City also triumphed, extending their 100 per cent record in Premier League games against Bournemouth to nine as they moved within two points of leaders Liverpool.
In the third game of the day, Wolves scored a 97th-minute penalty the latest converted in the Premier League since January 2017 to earn a 1-1 home draw against Burnley.
From the first minute to the last, they were brave and deserved it… against one of the top te…
Real Madrid midfielder Dani Ceballos claims he has the confidence of coach Julen Lopetegui ahead of a season in which he hopes to establish himself as a first-team regular.
The 22-year-old started just four LaLiga matches following his arrival from Real Betis and previously admitted he had expected to play more in his first season with Los Blancos.
Ceballos was named in the line-up for all three of Madrid s International Champions Cup matches and is optimistic about featuring in Lopetegui s plans long term.
I am feeling confident, and also I have the confidence of the coach, Ceballos told Real Madrid TV.
WOW! |
— Real Madrid C.F. (@realmadriden)
I am trying things that I didn t try before. Having this confidence is almost 80 per c…
´You can´t underestimate the best player in the world´ – Ronaldo´s partner slams Portugal boss Santo
Cristiano Ronaldo s partner Georgina Rodriguez has criticised Portugal coach Fernando Santos tactics as the nation suffered a shock World Cup elimination against Morocco.
The 37-year-old forward was benched for the second successive match, as his side fell to a 1-0 quarter-final defeat thanks to a Youssef En-Nesyri header.
Though Ronaldo was introduced shortly after the start of the second half, he was unable to make an impact.
He marched down the tunnel in tears after Portugal crashed out and Rodriguez later launched a stinging attack on head coach Santos.
Today, your friend and coach decided wrong, she wrote on Instagram. That friend for whom you have so many words of admiration, and so much respect.
The same friend who, putting you on the fie…
Eden Hazard will not be rushed back for Real Madrid s Champions League quarter-final first leg against Liverpool on Tuesday, insists Zinedine Zidane.
Hazard has been plagued by injuries since joining Madrid from Chelsea for €100million in June 2019.
He has made just 36 appearances and 29 starts across all competitions in that time, scoring only four times.
The 30-year-old returned from injury in March but then missed the Champions League last-16 second leg against Atalanta with a damaged hip flexor – a development Zidane described as inexplicable .
That injury kept him out of the Belgium squad for the recent international break and Zidane says he has no intention of playing Hazard against Premier League champions Liverpool if he is not 100 per…